Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Agradulations, Dad!

Lily and I baked a cake for Mark yesterday. He likes chocolate cake with white frosting. Lily is aware of this. The cover of the cake mix box shows a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. As we were gathering our baking supplies Lily took issue with the box cover art. She was up in arms that her daddy likes white frosting not the black frosting. She was seriously upset. She began to dismount her chair and abandon the project until I convinced her that the powder inside the box was only the cake. I had to actually open the container of frosting and prove that I was not yanking her chain.

She patiently waited until Mark got home to eat the cake too. By patiently I mean she asked me about once an hour if she could have some cake. She even began bartering.
"Mom, I'll have some cake. Then I will take a nap."
I explained to her that we were waiting to have cake until Daddy got home because we baked it for him to celebrate the fact that he got a job offer. This prospect was exciting enough that she held out until he got home.

She woke up from her nap and immediately asked about the mystical cake. I asked her if she wanted to show the cake to Daddy.
"Is he here?" she asked me while still in bed.
When I told her he just got home she catapulted herself out of bed and raced into the bathroom. She asked for help getting her pants off because she was too excited to take the time to do it. When she finished her business she dragged Mark into the kitchen and said:
"Daaad... I gotta surprise for ya!"
"What is it?"
She then proceeds to point at the cake that is clearly on the counter behind him. He makes a huge deal about it and she gets this wide smile, puts her arms out and says...

"Agradulations, Dad!"

1 comment:

  1. We call that "Wacky Cake" in our family, YUM! Lily is one smart little girl :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs